Senior Commercial Counsel
Posted on Saturday, April 1, 2023
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the third time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating (4.7 out of 5!) reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
Alation is seeking an experienced Senior Commercial Counsel to support its global expansion. This is a mid-level role reporting to the Head of Legal at Alation. The primary focus of the Senior Commercial Counsel will be on managing and partnering with the various business teams on a variety of commercial contracts and negotiations while working cross-functionally with Alation’s global go-to-market team. Candidate to be hired in the Sydney metropolitan area and must be admitted to practice law in the State of New South Wales.
We are looking for a strong team player motivated to be part of a growing company—someone with a builder mentality who is nimble and creative, with demonstrated agility in delivering results in a dynamic environment. The ideal candidate will have substantial responsibility representing the company in contract negotiations working directly with business partners across different functions, drafting and closing transactions, and advising on a range of commercial and related matters, legal risk considerations, and overall risk management. He/she will be collaborative, a problem solver, business-minded and team-oriented, with a willingness to roll up the sleeves and pitch in and to work effectively within a dynamic and growing environment. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment where a “can do” attitude is valued equally as much as a willingness to work collaboratively.
What you'll do:
- Primarily review and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements.
- Review and negotiate DPAs & BAAs (at least at a high level), as required.
- Demonstrate a willingness to reasonably support a global team to accelerate all aspects of the revenue operations to quickly drive deals to closure; creative thinking to facilitate closure of ARR.
- Review, draft, and negotiate complex contracts or other legal documentation with customers, suppliers, partners, vendors, contractors, and consultants.
- Provide legal and strategic business advice to ensure agreements are consistent with internal corporate policies and processes globally.
- Provide transaction support and general legal support across the organization as needed.
- Assist in the development of legal and sales enablement tools (playbooks, training, etc.), contractual templates, and materials to bring best-in-class practices to the company.
- Act as a trusted advisor and business partner across the company by providing counsel and guidance to accomplish overall business objectives.
- Collaborate with internal teams (finance, security, product, sales etc.) to ensure the timely closure of commercial agreements.
- Assist with additional tasks, including projects, as needed.
What you'll need:
- Admission to practice law and in good standing in the State of New South Wales.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in negotiating software-related commercial agreements and other associated agreements.
- An ability to thoroughly explain legal principles to non-legal colleagues at all levels within the organization.
- Excellent and persuasive writing and negotiation skills.
- A deep understanding of all legal contractual principles Demonstrated experience negotiating SaaS/Software agreements.
- An ability to provide thought leadership on strategic matters as well as execute tactical operational details.
- An ability to work quickly and competently to prioritize, manage, and multi-task in a fast-paced working environment.
- A strong work ethic and ability to multitask, prioritize, and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
- A self-starter attitude and an ability to work well independently and as part of a team, with strong organizational, operational, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong decision-making skills
Advantageous if you have:
- Ability to negotiate and draft in a language other than English. (French, German or Spanish is a plus)
- Experience in data protection and privacy-related matters, both local and international.
- Intellectual property and product counseling experience.
- Experience in building out legal operations.
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!
See more open positions at Alation
Something looks off?