Posted on Wednesday, December 9, 2020
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the third time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating (4.7 out of 5!) reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
Our Site Reliability Engineering team plays a significant role in delivering on the promise of a great cloud SaaS experience to our customers. We do this by influencing design and operational decisions towards the overall stability of the Alation Cloud Service.
We expect our SREs to have opinions on the state of our network, what we are doing right, and what can be improved. As an SRE manager, you will provide technical leadership and be able to influence decisions about the S/W engineering process as well as provide leadership in and Operational processes. In this leadership role you will be influencing the outcome of Service Delivery and S/W automation engineering.
What you'll do:
- Build and manage a team of engineers across many time zones who work to analyze and maintain service stability by documenting policies in a 24/7/365 operation.
- Own the day-to-day health, uptime and reliability of all networks, servers, storage, and ancillary infrastructure to fulfill the mission of unyielding site stewardship.
- Establish standard operating procedures, change management policies and ensure execution of standards.
- Drive quality accountability within the organization with well-defined processes, metrics, and goals for process quality. This includes leading effective postmortems and ensuring actions are followed-up.
- Manage availability, latency, scalability and efficiency of Alation applications development by instilling engineering reliability into our development life cycle with a focus on fault tolerant approaches.
- Work closely with Project Management, Operational and Engineering peers to develop innovative technical solutions that meet Alation’s needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, and reliability.
- Develop reports and feedback to inform technical solutions that meet design needs.
- Participate in on-call and identify issues and drive them to resolution and conduct blameless RCA.
- Engage and improve the SDLC of services from design to operation.
- Provide project management, sprint planning and road mapping support to the SRE Team.
- Define and measure SLA/SLO/KPIs and ensure the production run-state meets the set goals.
You may be a perfect fit if you have:
- 7+ years of experience in SRE, DevOps, Support and/or Cloud engineering, with minimum 3 years in a Technical Lead role.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field.
- Proven experience managing an operations organization in a 24/7 global infrastructure as well as a record of individual technical achievements.
- Strong understanding of DevOps/Agile methodologies and agile/scrum best practices.
- Thorough understanding of Engineering/Software development best practices (SDLC) and why they are important.
- Experience in allocating/assigning resources to meet OKRs, mentoring and teaching employees and hiring excellent people.
- Excellent hands-on knowledge of configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef or Salt.
- Strong programming and scripting fundamentals – Python, Go, Java, Terraform, Shell or equivalent.
- Production level experience with application monitoring of real-time alerting and centralized logging systems.
- Strong understanding of SaaS stateful and stateless applications. Experience in continuous integration, continuous delivery and continuous deployment tools.
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- Capable of technical deep dives into code, networking, systems, and storage with very experienced engineers.
- Demonstrated experience in network and large-scale Linux system troubleshooting and maintenance practices.
- Demonstrated experience with one or more Cloud providers (AWS, Azure, Google).
- Strong understanding of containerization and Kubernetes orchestration.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Maintain excellent written and verbal communications with clients, employees, and management chain, including status reports, project plans, presentations, etc.
- The successful candidate will possess an outstanding record of professional experience and will thrive in an environment that demands accountability. He/She must possess significant technology management and product development experience. He/She must also have strong planning, organizational, communication skills.
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!