Technical Revenue Accounting Manager
IT, Accounting & Finance
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2023
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
Alation is seeking to hire a strategic and hands-on Technical Revenue Accounting Manager in our quest to build a best-in-class revenue accounting team. Reporting to the Senior Director of Revenue Accounting, this role is critical in supporting the Company's continued track record of strong growth and driving a scalable and efficient operation. This is a critical role that will drive the development of accounting policies & procedures and support sales and legal negotiations. Our ideal candidate will have experience in revenue recognition at an enterprise software company, high proficiency in partnering with cross-functional teams to ensure the best revenue outcome for
each deal and new business initiative, experience establishing sound revenue accounting policies
and procedures, and strong leadership skills.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Revenue subject matter expert collaborating with Sales, Sales Ops, Deals Desk, and Legal to provide technical revenue accounting guidance for deal negotiations to achieve the best revenue outcome for the company while balancing operational needs
- Primary technical revenue accounting resource for the company by researching, resolving, and documenting accounting issues that arise during contract reviews, new product introductions, and new business initiatives
- Evaluate customer contracts to ensure that revenue is recognized accurately in accordance with GAAP
- Develop and continuously improve revenue recognition policies and whitepapers
- Participate in developing and maintaining strong internal controls, ensuring quality controls over revenue transactions and reporting
- Drive processes and automation efforts to build best-in-class revenue accounting processes
- Manage the quarterly/annual financial statement disclosures
- Participate in the re-implementation of Netsuite ARM
- Be the revenue point of contact for the auditors
- Mentor 2 Senior Revenue Accountants
You Should Have:
- 8+ years of experience in software revenue accounting
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a related field; Big 4 CPA required
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and primarily revenue recognition (ASC 606) as it applies to on-premise software revenue and SaaS
- Contract review experience
- Strong excel skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills; We have a very collaborative and inclusive culture
- Effective communication and relationship-building skills as we collaborate with the team members at every level of the organization
- A combination of private and public company experience is highly desired
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment, solve complicated problems, be motivated to implement improvements, to inspire change while staying within the company’s culture being collaborative and inclusive
The base salary range is specific to the United States. The salary of the final candidate selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to internal equity, experience, education, work location, specialty, and training. If the final candidate has a different level of experience, the base salary target range may be lower or higher than what is published.
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!