Director, Product & Regulatory Legal
Gem’s mission is to help companies hire great teams. Our talent engagement platform enables recruiting teams to build relationships that lead to diverse, high-quality talent pipelines, a great candidate experience, and predictable hiring at any scale. By creating a source of truth for all relationships with talent, Gem can automate personalized outreach, while also generating insights about the entire recruiting process.
Our customers are savvy recruiting teams from industry-leading companies — like Dropbox, Grammarly, Doordash, Cisco, McDonalds — who understand that getting the best talent in the market is key to maintaining their competitive advantage.
With funding from key investors such as, ICONIQ, Greylock, Sapphire, and Accel, Gem has recently been recognized with Unicorn status, with a $1.2B valuation — becoming one of the fastest-growing SaaS companies at its scale. And just as we strive to help our customers find great talent, we also invest in our own people and culture. We are proud of the culture we’ve built and have recently been recognized as:
- The Breakout List, 2022
- Certified as a Great Place to work, 2022
- Y Combinator Top Companies, 2022
- Fortune Best Workplaces in the Bay Area, 2022
The Team & Role
What you'll do day to day:
- Identify and resolve wide-ranging legal issues, including privacy, data security, intellectual property, regulatory, and licensing, working directly with business clients to provide on-the-ground support.
- Review products, features, and initiatives to assess legal compliance across multiple jurisdictions, from the early stages of product development through launch.
- Provide solution-focused privacy guidance to product, commercial business, engineering, and other cross-functional teams to support product innovation while, making privacy a competitive differentiator for Gem.
- Refine, enhance, and scale company-wide privacy compliance operating processes, including maintenance of privacy training program, data maps, data impact assessments, privacy-by-design and privacy-by-default reviews, risk assessments, transfer impact assessments, compliance memos, and data subject response processes.
- Support Commercial Legal and other teams in customer, partner, and vendor negotiations related to privacy and product matters, including by providing regular training, developing privacy templates and playbooks, and providing direct deal support for strategic negotiations. Identify and drive initiatives to streamline privacy negotiations with customers, partners, and vendors.
- Stay informed of changes and developments in laws, regulations, standards and guidance applicable to recruiting SaaS and update business practices/processes accordingly.
- Act as a utility player, working across a variety of projects and teams, and handle special projects, as requested.
- A J.D. or LL.B (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- 7+ years of legal experience, at a law firm and/or in-house advising on global privacy and/or product matters related to the B2B SaaS industry;
- Working knowledge of privacy and/or product issues impacting the HR tech industry, such as self-regulatory/compliance guidelines, data privacy and cybersecurity issues and legislation, AI and machine learning, etc.
- Experience devising or implementing processes and controls designed to mitigate legal risk;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, business judgment, flexibility, analytical skills, and attention to detail
- Experience advising a wide variety of cross-functional partners, like sales, marketing, product, and engineering stakeholders; demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional projects, drive alignment, and deliver results
- Nice to Have:
- A privacy certification (e.g., CIPP/US, CIPP/E, CIPM) is a plus
Gem is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and encourage folks of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. At Gem, we’re committed to having an inclusive and transparent environment where every voice is heard and acknowledged. We embrace our differences, and know that our diverse team is a strength that drives our success.
Gem is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation, please email us at email@example.com and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Something looks off?