Sales Development Manager, Outbound
Sales & Business Development
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2023
Gem is building the platform for modern recruiting. Our software empowers recruiters to source and engage with candidates at scale, and gives talent leaders data and insights to operate their teams more efficiently. Our customers are savvy recruiting teams from industry-leading companies — like Twilio, Robinhood, Peloton, and Gusto — who understand that getting the best talent in the market is key to maintaining their competitive advantage.
With $148M in funding led by ICONIQ, Greylock, Sapphire, and Accel at a $1.2B valuation, Gem has become one of the fastest-growing SaaS companies at its scale. In the last year, we tripled ARR, made Y Combinator’s Top Companies list, and were recognized as a great place for career growth and diversity by Comparably.
The Team & Role
As a Sales Development Manager, you will play a pivotal role in implementing Gem’s outbound sales strategy. You will be responsible for coaching and developing the SDR team to business outcomes, working with management to implement strategy and cross functionally partnering on pipeline generating initiatives.
We are looking for smart, passionate people who are looking to make a difference every day and who want to have a real, immediate impact. We want someone who has a proven record of building, developing and implement processes in a change oriented environment. Someone who can lead a team with empathy and also hold each SDR accountable for adoption of new process and performance. Our workplace culture is driven by creativity, collaboration and questioning the status quo to get to the best outcome for the business.
If you thrive in a fast-paced and exciting environment and want to help build an extraordinary team and company, then this is the role for you. We are a unique start-up with a proven product, brand-name customers, and significant revenue growth. This is a great opportunity to be a part of a start-up that is already proven, yet young enough to offer its employees significant growth and equity.
What you'll do day to day:
- Catalyze pipeline creation
- Shape and implement SDR strategy and processes
- Develop and coach SDRs on best practices
- Serve as a mentor for your team and be a steward of the Gem organization
- Measure and hold accountable SDR performance
- Identify and resolve process bottlenecks and inconsistencies
- Anticipate challenges and be able to scale processes
- Report to Director of Sales Development on operational and financial KPIs
- Motivate, incentivize, and recognize team members to encourage top performance
- Recruit, interview, and onboard new team members
- Conduct weekly one-on-one with each SDR
- Help evaluate new technologies and programs to drive superior performance
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and do anything that you would ask one of your SDRs to do
- Collaborate on cross functionally on projects while managing the outbound team
- 2+ yrs experience as an SDR/BDR (business development rep) or inside sales
- 2+ yrs of SDR management experience
- A proven track record of success managing a high-performing sales development or inside sales team
- Exceptional people management skills
- A proven track record of hiring, developing and promoting talent
- Strong understanding of outbound and inbound pipeline generation strategies and processes
- Ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional partners (eg. Marketing, Sales Managers)
- Positive, results-driven, team-first attitude
- Expert communication and written skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
- Analytical mindset comfortable generating reports and identifying trends in data
- Technologically adept and proven success rolling out new sales enablement technologies
- Deeply familiar with Outreach, Salesforce, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Qualified or Drift, and Gong
- A self-starter who will thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- Located in the San Francisco Bay Area
Gem is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and encourage folks of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. At Gem, we’re committed to having an inclusive and transparent environment where every voice is heard and acknowledged. We embrace our differences, and know that our diverse team is a strength that drives our success.
Gem is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation, please email us at peopleops and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
For roles based in New York City, NY and San Francisco, CA out of our HQs, the OTE salary range for this position is $183,350 - $193,000. Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Certain roles may be eligible for variable compensation, equity, and benefits.
This role is not eligible for remote work.
Gem’s Candidate Privacy Notice
By clicking “Submit Application”, you acknowledge and agree that you have read and understand Gem’s Candidate Privacy Statement, including the information provided on how Gem processes your personal data and your related rights as set forth therein.
See more open positions at Gem
Something looks off?