Lead Privacy Counsel - Data Protection & Privacy
Pendo is seeking an experienced privacy and data protection counsel to join our legal team. This role will be accountable and responsible for Pendo’s data privacy needs on a global basis. This will require providing data protection and privacy subject matter expertise and advice to Pendo business units across all of its global locations, as well as acting as the designated DPO for the purposes of the EU and UK privacy legislation.
This role reports directly to Pendo’s General Counsel and will work cross-functionally with the Revenue, Security, Product/Engineering and Marketing teams and senior executives. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, flexible, comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and willing to work collaboratively to meet company-wide goals.
- Work as part of a cross-functional team delivering best in class privacy counseling, primarily focusing on revenue-related products and services including leading and playing a key part in data protection impact assessments.
- Build and maintain efficient and effective processes and privacy standards to support the compliant facilitation of revenue-generating products and strategic corporate initiatives.
- Provide legal advice to ensure Pendo’s internal stakeholders and operations are compliant with applicable laws, regulations, standards/controls, contractual obligations, and industry best practices.
- Collaborate with the Security and Product Teams on incident preparedness, investigation, communication, and remediation including acting as one of the main points of contact on incidents involving potential data disclosure.
- Create and provide playbooks, guides and training to other legal team members and cross-functional stakeholders on areas within the privacy purview to ensure Pendo has a consistent and clear position on applicable laws, regulations, and relevant self-regulatory frameworks.
- Track new privacy/security legislation to help analyze and communicate, both internally and externally, the implications of changing U.S. and international laws.
- Lead the ongoing work of building, refining, and scaling privacy and data protection compliance processes and work to deliver best in class privacy and data protection training initiatives across the company.
- Draft and negotiate agreements to assist Pendo in its business pursuits.
- Coordinate with the Security team on annual privacy training including providing education, awareness, and expert advice to all employees regarding their obligations to comply with applicable data protection laws, including the GDPR, CCPA, GLBA, when processing personal data.
- Train legal team colleagues on all aspects of contract negotiation regarding data privacy and act as the internal owner of applicable data privacy documentation.
- J.D. and admitted to the bar in which role is located and in good standing, or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status).
- 7-10 years of legal experience supporting and advising businesses on global privacy and data protection related concerns, ideally with both a law firm and within a fast-paced technology or SaaS company.
- Expertise in global privacy laws, regulations, standards and related regimes including CCPA and GDPR.
- Exceptional communication and project management skills and ability to lead and influence cross-functional teams.
- A strong understanding of SaaS and making complex topics easily-digestible for various audiences.
- Experience working in or building, privacy and data protection programs and developing compliance processes, practices and related documentation.
- Excellent knowledge of current and emerging global privacy laws, regulations, standards and related regimes and related laws.
- Comfortable working in a company experiencing rapid change and evolution.
- Solution-oriented, able to calibrate risk, and focused on customer-service
- Ability to work independently, proactively, and cross-functionally with teams across Pendo.
- CIPP preferred
Pendo was founded in 2013 by former product managers, who combined their heads and hearts to build something they wanted but never had as product managers -- a simple way to understand and attack what truly drives product success. Our mission is to improve society's experience with software.
Come join one of the fastest-growing startups, supported by best-in-class institutions like Battery Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Spark Capital and Meritech. You will gain experience in a diverse and exciting set of technologies and clients and have a real impact on Pendo's future. Our culture is passionate, dynamic, and fun.
We are an equal opportunity employer and believe having diverse teams where everyone brings their whole self to Pendo is key to our success. We welcome all people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Pendo is committed to working with, and providing access and reasonable accommodation to, applicants with mental and/or physical disabilities. If you think you may require accommodation(s) for any part of the recruitment process, please send a request to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests for accommodations are treated discreetly and confidentially, as practical and permitted by law.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of many compensation, benefits and other reward opportunities we provide.
The expected base salary range for this role in the following locations is:
San Francisco Bay Area, CA - USD $214,000 - $259,000
New York City, NY - USD $195,000 - $236,000
Raleigh, NC - USD $186,000 - $225,000
Individual pay rate decisions, including offers made within and over the expected salary range, are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company.
Something looks off?