Engineer - Data
Posted on Saturday, October 8, 2022
Join SafeGraph’s small but growing Engineering team. We work with massive geospatial, temporal and business entity datasets. In this role on the Places Team you will build public Points of Interest datasets and pipelines with Scala, Python, Apache Spark, solving, analyzing interesting and challenging data problems. You should be excited by the prospect of shaping the vision of and building something new, getting in at the ground floor and helping the SafeGraph team continue to build and support a world-class data product.
- Have attention to detail and bias for action, are a prolific communicator, and thrive in uncertainty.
- Are passionate about big data, looking to work in a fast-paced environment, focusing on hard problems where the solutions are often not predefined.
- Strong data understanding of what it takes to work with data, challenges, and learning.
- You've worked with data in big and small companies.
- You're autonomous, work well remotely, and are a world-class communicator.
- Have a growth mindset.
- Minimum 3+ years of backend engineering work experience.
- Proficiency writing production-quality code, preferably in Scala, Java, or Python.
- Understanding of Apache Spark is required.
- Strong familiarity with all things building data products - schema design, modeling, optimization, scalability.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Extra bonus points: Deep understanding of Apache Spark and/or distributed systems that allows you to solve production-scale problems.
- Experience and passion for functional programming in solving data problems (Scala).
- Experience with AWS.
- Experience with building high quality data sets.
- Experience with open source development.
- Experience with geospatial data.
- Our goal is to be the dominant place to get any data on a physical Place. We sell our product - our datasets - to data scientists and machine learning engineers at companies of all sizes.
- At SafeGraph, we’ve taken a measured approach to build a long term company. We were profitable in 2019, have hired experienced leadership from the start and care deeply about democratizing access to data to everyone.
- We currently have about 100 employees and are growing quickly. We recently raised a $45 million Series B ($65 million raised to date), and the CEO was previously the founder and CEO of LiveRamp (NYSE:RAMP).
- While SafeGraph was started in San Francisco, we’ve been fully distributed across North America since 2019 — 18 states, 3 countries, and counting! We encourage all employees to work in whatever environment enables them most, whether that be at home, a co-working space, or somewhere else. We get the entire company together in the same place as often as possible, and cannot wait to do this again soon!
- We offer our employees a robust set of benefits, including health, dental & vision insurance coverage, a 401k, work-from-home stipend, mental health benefits, and much more.
- Some good reading on how we think:
Don't fit this description perfectly but still think this is the role for you? Apply and let us know why!
See more open positions at SafeGraph
Something looks off?