Senior Product Manager, Core Database
At Yugabyte, we are on a mission to become the default transactional database for the cloud. We are well underway on this journey with YugabyteDB, the open source, high-performance, distributed SQL database that runs on any cloud and enables developers to get instantly productive using well-known APIs. We are looking for talented and driven people to join us on our ambitious mission and help us build a lasting and impactful company.
We announced a $188M Series C round at a $1.3B valuation in October 2021, however we very much believe we are still in the early stages of our company’s journey. The transactional database market is estimated to grow from $40B in 2021 to $64B by 2025. Given our database is cloud-native by design, has on-demand horizontal scalability, and allows for geographical distribution of data using built-in replication, we are extremely well-positioned to address the market need for geo-distributed, high-scale, high-performance wordloads.
The Core Database team builds the fully open-source, ACID-compliant, Google Spanner-inspired YugabyteDB and is comprised of two sub-teams, namely DocDB and Query Layer. As the first dedicated Product Manager on this team, you will be responsible for all aspects of bringing the distributed SQL database to the market while serving the needs of both community and enterprise users. This is a unique opportunity to partner with a fast-growing, world-class engineering team to deliver a cloud-native PostgreSQL-compatible database that runs relational apps natively on modern infrastructure platforms including Kubernetes and that too across multiple regions/clouds without losing data integrity.
Role and Responsibilities
- Craft the product roadmap by understanding the user needs, market landscape, and YugabyteDB principles.
- Conduct user research, write product requirements specifications, develop mockups to distill the research into clear requirements for engineering
- Prioritize and track the deliverables in the product roadmap by continuously assimilating feedback from all stakeholders.
- Contribute to product documentation highlighting the rationale behind features as well as how to use them in real-world use cases
- Communicate product status to sales, marketing and support on feature releases and keep engineering informed on feature requests
- Help with sales and marketing collateral to educate on the product story and features (Website copy, blogs, white-papers, sales decks, FAQs, etc)
- 3+ years experience in data infrastructure or related IaaS products and/or services; AWS and/or Google Cloud background preferred.
- Strong understanding of SQL (PostgreSQL is a plus) databases and the associated ecosystem of ORM frameworks, migration tools and more
- Excellent user and market research skills
- Ability to organize multiple stakeholders towards a common goal
- Strong technical acumen, with a solid understanding of infrastructure principles
- Experience with managing open source products preferred but not required
- BS/BA Degree required
To learn more about the database architecture, company business model, and recent news:
- Distributed PostgreSQL on a Google Spanner Architecture – Storage Layer
- Distributed PostgreSQL on a Google Spanner Architecture – Query Layer
- Why We Changed YugabyteDB Licensing to 100% Open Source
We feel strongly about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one way to help achieve that. The cash compensation for this role is market competitive, with a range of $130,000-$250,000, as well as equity (when applicable), and benefits including health plans, retirement plans, and unlimited paid time off (PTO). Some roles also include variable/incentive compensation, or a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The pay range for this position is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. The actual pay will vary based on factors including experience, qualifications, and skill level.