Software Engineer, Database
At Yugabyte, we are on a mission to become the default transactional database for the cloud. We are well underway on this journey with YugabyteDB, the open source, high-performance, distributed SQL database that runs on any cloud and enables developers to get instantly productive using well-known APIs. We are looking for talented and driven people to join us on our ambitious mission and help us build a lasting and impactful company.
We announced a $188M Series C round at a $1.3B valuation in October 2021, however we very much believe we are still in the early stages of our company’s journey. The transactional database market is estimated to grow from $40B in 2021 to $64B by 2025. Given our database is cloud-native by design, has on-demand horizontal scalability, and allows for geographical distribution of data using built-in replication, we are extremely well-positioned to address the market need for geo-distributed, high-scale, high-performance wordloads.
We are looking for passionate software engineers with different levels of experience to work on the bleeding edge of building a transactional, high-performance database that can handle geo-distributed/multi-cloud applications.
This role would involve working on really hard problems involving areas across the open-source YugabyteDB. The team's work areas include but are not limited to CDC, performance, query planning and optimisation. You would be interfacing with components that involve distributed systems, Raft consensus and extending it, LSM databases, a sophisticated, pluggable query compiler layer(Postgres & CQL) and end-user clients in a variety of languages.
Role and Responsibilities
- Design, develop, test, debug and maintain components of a highly scalable and resilient distributed database.
- Manage one or more project priorities and deadlines.
- Write high quality C++ code and comprehensive test cases. Participate in the code review process
- Troubleshoot correctness, stability or performance issues in a complex distributed system
- Improve database scalability as we expand cluster sizes and transaction throughput
- Contribute to the growth of our open source database product, YugabyteDB
- Experience with compiled languages - C/C++.
- Systems engineering fundamentals (e.g. distributed systems, operating systems, databases) is a plus.
- 3-10 years of experience and a BS/MS degree in Computer Science -or- a related field.
- A BS/MS/PhD degree in Computer Science (or a similar technical field of study).